Tuesday, November 22, 2011

PUMPKIN PIE MADE FROM SCRATCH

For Thanksgiving this year, I decided to make my pumpkin pies from scratch.  Here is the start of the whole thing.  You should use smaller pumpkins because they are sweeter and easier to work with.  Well, it took the help of my son to cut into these pumpkins.  I didn't carve any pumpkins for Halloween so I thought it would be cool to cut them up and cook them.  It ended up being a huge project which I was determined to finish.  It took pretty much all day the day before Thanksgiving.  We had three pumpkins and this was the largest.  The pies turned out really good.  They were fresh and lighter tasting than the store bought canned pumpkin.  


The following pictures are from the biggest pumpkin which was the hardest to cut open and didn't produce much results.  We ended up with 3 cups of pumpkin after it was cooked.  The other two pumpkins were smaller but produced more pumpkin.  I ended up w three with 6 bags of pumpkin at 3 cups in each bag.  That is a whole lot of pumpkin!  Thank goodness we are able to freeze it and use the rest at a later date.  


If you want to give it a try for the upcoming Christmas holiday, just email me and I will send you the recipe.  The stores usually carry the smaller pumpkins through December. 


Deanna  :)




















No comments:

Post a Comment